We’ve made this post to help you be as prepared as possible for your big moving day. Moving really is the one of the most stressful events you can go through, even for regular movers who’ve managed to get themselves into a routine, it’s still stressful! We have helped thousands of people move, either due to selling or renting and we are going to use this wealth of experience to give you the best, most up-to date moving home tips to help your move go smoother.
1. Label every single box that you put anything in. You may know that it’s the box from under your bed, from 5 years ago, but your helpful friends or the delivery company won’t. The more you can delegate when you are moving home, the less stress in the long run.
2. Re-direct all your post, ideally for at least 6 months. This will cover all the usual letters and the ones that get sent out quarterly and mid-yearly. Both the Royal Mail and the Post Office provide this service for a fee.
3. BUDI. Bank, Utilities, Drivers licence, Insurances. As soon as your moving or completion day has been confirmed, and the post is redirected, these need to be changed. This will stop you getting a fine from the DVLA and give the utility companies as long as possible to arrange the transfer of services between addresses so you’re not without the essentials…like WIFI.
4. Organise help, It’s very rare for people to be able to move on their own, depending on the size of properties depends on the help you will need. If you are using a delivery company, make sure you get references, if you’re getting help from friends only ask the most reliable, Being let down is the last thing you need. Don’t forget many charities, like the British Heart Foundation, take furniture and clothing, Reducing the amount needed to be moved.
5. Be Thorough. If you are planning on using any service to help when moving home, lettings and estate agents, movers etc. it is imperative that you fully research beforehand regarding price, service levels and the kind of aftercare they provide if appropriate. How are their testimonials?
It’s easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of moving home and be tempted to use the first or cheapest provider and tick it off the list. However, we still get calls from those moving home the next day, who find themselves in a jam due to unreliable movers. Always them research them fully, if possible use a company a friend has recommended giving you.
We Hope this helps your move, if there is anything you would like to add, don’t hesitate to get in touch or leave a comment below.